Me, My Yehyeh, and Gai Doi

My life, my family, my guy....where to from here?

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

All in the Timing

A bit of an odd day today...

First of all, as Yehyeh and I were having breakfast, I finished reading "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown, who I'm sure everyone knows wrote "The Da Vinci Code." It was odd because I read about 300 pages in about an hour, which is like 5 pages per minute, or one page in 12 seconds - that's impossible isn't it? I like to think that I did retain some of the information - I did solve the code at the end of the book, so something must have sunk in, right?

By mid-morning, while Yehyeh watched TV and read his papers, I was blog-surfing. When I finally looked at the clock, it was lunch time. I hate when I let time go by like that! Usually I am more aware of time passing. However, I decided the gloomy weather was to blame and carried on with the day.

After lunch, I did 4 loads of laundry between checking email and catching up on current events. Just as I got halfway through, I answered a call for help from my former place of employment (doesn't everyone enjoy being needed?). What was odd about the afternoon was - time almost stood still. I had completed so many tasks that I was sure when I looked at the clock it would tell me it was suppertime. Uh-uh, when I looked at the clock 2 hours had barely passed! I could've sworn 5 hours had gone by! What else was a girl to do but take Yeh for a walk to the grocery store around the corner. And off we went...

An hour later, we arrived back home - how is this possible? I can see the grocery store from my front steps. I can almost read the specials posted in the window. Granted my Yehyeh is old and walks slowly and there was some traffic and we did look around a bit - but an hour? Holy guacamole - what is happening with time today?

I'm not easily fazed and apart from the pounding headache (from the low pressure system I think?) - I began doing the prep for supper. We're having beef stir fry and since time has been acting funny, I thought I would cut all the vegetables beforehand so there'd be no waiting between ingredients during the actual stirfrying. This was the only event today that I timed out....literally, the last vegetable was sliced, the chopping board & knife cleaned, and it was 6 o'clock, time for Yeh's insulin. My husband, Gai Doi, had already arrived home and just got up from his nap. Rice was cooking, thanks to Yeh. And insulin was given...now it was time to cook. Everything went well - the veggies were the perfect size & cooked to perfection and just as I turned off the stove, the rice cooker clicked, announcing the rice was ready. The timing couldn't have been more perfect! What gives? Now we're back in normal time.

When I turned 30, I had this moment where I thought about the passage of time in my life...it seemed to me that from the time I was born until I was about 4 years old, time flew by. I know that it's because I don't really remember it, but still, it seems that it flew by. Then from 5 years to 15 years old, time crawled by...I remember the summer vacation before grade six felt so long that by August I was wishing it was September. And the months leading up to my sixteenth birthday seemed to drag on forever. From my 16th birthday until my 23rd birthday, time seemed to fly - it felt like I received my driver's license, graduated from high school, went to university, graduated, served my apprenticeship, and established my career as a stage manager in one week! I was amazed at how quickly it all happened. Time didn't seem to register again for me until I hit 30 and reflected on time. I'm 34 now and since turning 30, time seems to be going at the proper speed...that is, until I hit today.

Let's hope time returns to its norm tomorrow.

1 Comments:

At 5/12/2006 11:49 a.m., Blogger William said...

Thanks for the comment. I really enjoyed it. I know what you mean about time flying and the feeling of stumbling on something big. Since I have come to Japan I am always surprising myself how (A) I notice the opportunities that pass by every day and (B) how I am not afraid to take them. I just seem to jump at them now, and as a result I have traveled all over Japan made lots of friends. I wanted to Travel around Japan before I came but I thought I wouldn’t have the time or money. I wanted to improve my Japanese and now I speak it very well indeed. I wanted to drive here and I was just given cars to use with out even asking. I wanted to make more money and I just got offered a second job. Yes I have those days where I put up with racism and just generally stupid people, mainly at work. But, just when I think I have had it or I wish something would get better, something comes along, almost as though my wish was answered. I will have some more pics of Hokkaido soon, but every one will have to wait. You see, I wished that I could find a second job, and I got one, I wanted more hours and I was offered them, Hmmmmm, life has it's moments. So I will be quite busy for the next 3 weeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home